Barcelona have deemed Antoine Griezmann and Philippe Coutinho surplus to requirements and will be looking to cash in on the duo this summer.
As reported by Spanish publication Sport, the Catalan heavyweights have to reduce the ballooning wage bill to get permission to register Sergio Aguero and Memphis Depay.
Although La Liga allowed Barcelona to register Lionel Messi, the Camp Nou outfit had to provide assurances that they will trim their wage bill to the optimal level.
Indeed, Barca need to cut off a whopping €175million to bring their payroll within a new salary cut, which is likely to see several first-team stars leave Catalonia in the coming weeks.
President Joan Laporta, who has already made it clear he will do everything in his power to get the club out of staggering debt, is ready to sacrifice Griezmann and Coutinho, bought for €120m and €135m respectively.
Barcelona spent €120m to trigger the Frenchman’s release clause two years ago, making him one of the club’s highest earners.
Though Griezmann enjoyed a decent last season at Camp Nou, tallying 20 goals and 13 assists in all competitions, he could hit the road in the summer. Valued at €60m by TransferMarkt, Barcelona want to reduce both the transfer amortisation costs as well as the wages.
Meanwhile, Coutinho has never managed to convince since securing a blockbuster €135m move from Liverpool in January 2018.
The Brazilian has no future at Barcelona, with the Spanish giants looking to either sell him outright or send him on another loan to get his salary off the books.
Coutinho has registered 90 appearances for the Blaugrana. If he hits a 100-game milestone, Barca will have to pay the Reds a bonus of €20m, which they want to avoid.
Barcelona are reportedly ready to give up the playmaker for a mere €25m in the summer just to get rid of his wages.
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking
- Tottenham’s sporting director Fabio Paratici targeting Juventus’ Aaron Ramsey
- Jurgen Klopp makes transfer decision on injury-prone Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain