A selection of Arsenal fans on Twitter reacted to Takehiro Tomiyasu’s performance during Japan’s 1-0 World Cup qualifier win over China on Tuesday.
The 22-year-old was the Gunners’ final purchase of the summer transfer window, arriving from Bologna for a reported fee of around €18 million.
The defender is braced to make his debut after the international break, but some supporters kept a close eye on his showing against China.
Japan were favourites to beat their Asian counterparts, but they only won by a solitary goal despite the vast possession.
Tomiyasu played as the left-sided centre-back, and he looked comfortable in possession being two-footed.
He completed 87 passes in the game while also winning seven aerial duels and delivering five long balls.
He can’t be judged on one performance, but several fans were impressed with what they had seen.
Tomiyasu was signed as a replacement for right-back Hector Bellerin, who was loaned out of Real Betis.
Gunners chief Edu Gaspar has said that he is ready to play straight away, but Mikel Arteta will make the decision.
The defender’s versatility is certainly a boost for the Gunners, but the majority of his minutes could come at right-back.
His main strengths are his physique, tackling and aerial ability, and he should provide more defensive assurance.
That is something that the Gunners have lacked from the position over the past few years.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
Read: Edu Gaspar says Takehiro Tomiyasu is ready to play straight away for Arsenal.
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Preview: Brentford vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League officials to pause games to allow Muslim players to break fast during Ramadan
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups
- Inter Milan eyeing a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Emerson Royal
- Premier League stars at the 2022 World Cup
- Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Best Champions League Matches To Watch Next Week
- From Cucurella to Wijnaldum – 5 Expected Transfers In August 2022