Arsenal outcast Willian could be on the verge of returning to his homeland with Corinthians following an underwhelming maiden season at the Emirates Stadium.
Although the Brazilian winger has prioritised European football over returning to South America, Corinthians remain confident of completing the move.
Fabrizio Romano insists Arsenal are ready to terminate Willian’s contract after the 33-year-old’s dreadful first season in north London.
Frozen out by Mikel Arteta, the ex-Chelsea man has grown frustrated with his current situation in the capital and is seeking a way out of the club.
After clocking up just one goal from 37 competitive outings for the Gunners last season, he has failed to feature in his side’s opening two Premier League fixtures this term.
Willian invited a wave of insults from supporters on Sunday after allegedly ‘liking’ Chelsea’s Instagram post celebrating their victory over Arsenal.
It is now a near-certainty the winger won’t play for Arteta’s team again, as Corinthians continue to negotiate his return to Brazil.
The Brazilian heavyweights are keen to land Willian, but the player’s hefty £150,000-per-week wages are a sticking point at the moment.
However, talks between the parties are ongoing, with Arsenal ready to do everything in their power to facilitate his departure.
After splurging £130 million on incomings this summer, the Londoners are looking to remove several fringe players to reduce their bloated squad.
In addition to Willian, two other Gunners’ disappointments could be on the move before the deadline day.
Mohamed Elneny, who is in the final year of his contract, has become a target for Watford, although the Hornets have yet to make an official approach.
Meanwhile, after enjoying a decent loan spell at Atletico Madrid last season, Lucas Torreira is now close to joining Fiorentina on another temporary deal.
- 2024 UEFA Champions League Predictions, Surprises, and Insights
- Top tips for planning a football training session
- Wolves in talks with Corinthians over late move for Yuri Alberto
- Premier League: Everton vs Manchester City preview, prediction & team news
- Preview: North Macedonia vs England – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Study reveals the most accessible Premier League stadiums
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?