Arsenal have a recall option inserted in the loan contract of Miguel Azeez with Portsmouth, football.london reports.
Azeez missed the initial part of pre-season with fitness concerns. He still impressed with a wonderful long-range strike in the 4-0 friendly win over Watford.
The 18-year-old has improved on the physical and off-the-ball attributes over the past year, but he was loaned out to Pompey for the season last month.
The Gunners obviously wanted him to receive valuable first-team experience as they can not offer him the same with the lack of Europa League football.
However, it appears that they could recall him midway through the campaign to cover up for the absence of key players due to the African Cup of Nations (AFCON).
The Gunners currently have five senior central midfielders.
Granit Xhaka and Thomas Partey appear regular starters, with Albert Sambi Lokonga, Mohamed Elneny and Ainsley Maitland-Niles the back-up options.
Maitland-Niles has hardly played in the position at the club, but he may have the chance to impress as there will be a void to fill at the turn of the year.
With Partey and Elneny on course to represent their countries at AFCON next year, the club will be short in midfield.
The tournament runs from January 9 to February 6. There is a possibility that Azeez could be recalled and loaned again.
Azeez is currently working under manager Danny Cowley, who played a part in Emile Smith Rowe’s development.
Smith Rowe made the breakthrough with the Gunners after a promising loan spell under him at Huddersfield Town.
Azeez will be hoping to follow a similar career path and potentially break into Mikel Arteta’s plans next year.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Who will partner Frenkie de Jong in Man Utd’s midfield?
- Latest Premier League Transfer News: Lautaro Martinez delivers update on his future amid Tottenham links
- Arsenal vs Tottenham could decide Champions League fate this midweek
- Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham – The race for the Top 4
- Europa League Semi-Finals Preview: Westham v Frankurt, Leipzig v Rangers
- March 2022’s International Break Preview
- 3 Talking Points From Sunday’s Premier League Action
- Borussia Dortmund closing in on siging Red Bull Salzburg whizz-kid
- Tottenham lining up £18m bid for Wolves speed demon Adama Traore – Would that be a good move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?