Aston Villa will attempt to land the signature of Juventus midfielder Weston McKennie when the transfer window reopens, The Sun reports.
The United States international made 46 appearances during his debut campaign for the Bianconeri last term but was restricted to 52 minutes per game.
He was offered to several clubs before the summer transfer deadline, but none were willing to commit to a loan deal with an obligation to buy.
McKennie has been told that he is free to leave the club for the right offer. Villa, who have regularly been linked with him, will make an approach in January.
Villa made five signings during the recent transfer window, but most were focused on bolstering their attack.
Danny Ings, Emiliano Buendia and Leon Bailey were signed to compensate for Jack Grealish’s exit to Manchester City.
They also added quality competition in defence in the form of Ashley Young and Axel Tuanzebe (loan).
However, it was suggested that they were eyeing a midfielder with the ability to make goalscoring contributions.
Southampton’s James Ward-Prowse was high on their radar, but they were put off by the £50 million price tag.
The England international eventually signed a new long-term deal at the south coast outfit.
McKennie was linked towards the end of the transfer window, but a deal never materialised.
Villa could return for the 23-year-old in January, but they can anticipate stiff competition for his services.
Tottenham Hotspur were also credited with an interest in McKennie during the final days of the transfer window.
Spurs were eyeing a possible swap deal involving Tanguy Ndombele, but a deal was never on the cards.
With no suitable offers to offload Ndombele, the club opted to stall their pursuit of the Juventus man.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- 2024 UEFA Champions League Predictions, Surprises, and Insights
- Top tips for planning a football training session
- Wolves in talks with Corinthians over late move for Yuri Alberto
- Premier League: Everton vs Manchester City preview, prediction & team news
- Preview: North Macedonia vs England – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Study reveals the most accessible Premier League stadiums
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?