Aston Villa reportedly harbour genuine hopes of convincing Chelsea to let them take out-of-sorts striker Tammy Abraham to Birmingham.
Abraham has fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge since Thomas Tuchel replaced Frank Lampard in the dugout back in January.
Although the English marksman played a prominent role under the previous manager, his game time has dwindled on the back of Tuchel’s arrival.
Despite being handed just 83 minutes of top-flight action in the second half of the season, Abraham finished the 2020/21 season as Chelsea’s joint-top goalscorer.
Unfortunately, it was not enough to convince Tuchel to play him instead of high-cost additions, Timo Werner and Kai Havertz.
As a result, Abraham is on the verge of waving goodbye to Chelsea, with Villa and several other Premier League clubs waiting in the wings.
Villa are particularly interested in wrapping up a deal with the London outfit, considering they have fond memories of the Englishman’s previous spell with the club.
Abraham excelled during a season-long loan in the Midlands back in 2018/19, completing the campaign as the club’s top scorer with 26 goals.
After playing a pivotal role in Villa’s return to England’s top-flight, Smith is keen to bring him back to the club this summer.
Villa already have Ollie Watkins to lead the line, but Wesley Moraes’ long-term injury left them with no cover.
Abraham is their preferred option, but it will take a substantial financial sacrifice to convince Chelsea to green-light the move.
However, Jack Grealish’s anticipated big-money move to Manchester City could help Villa raise funds for new signings.
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Preview: Brentford vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League officials to pause games to allow Muslim players to break fast during Ramadan
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups
- Inter Milan eyeing a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Emerson Royal
- Premier League stars at the 2022 World Cup