Aston Villa reportedly harbour genuine hopes of convincing Chelsea to let them take out-of-sorts striker Tammy Abraham to Birmingham.
Abraham has fallen out of favour at Stamford Bridge since Thomas Tuchel replaced Frank Lampard in the dugout back in January.
Although the English marksman played a prominent role under the previous manager, his game time has dwindled on the back of Tuchel’s arrival.
Despite being handed just 83 minutes of top-flight action in the second half of the season, Abraham finished the 2020/21 season as Chelsea’s joint-top goalscorer.
Unfortunately, it was not enough to convince Tuchel to play him instead of high-cost additions, Timo Werner and Kai Havertz.
As a result, Abraham is on the verge of waving goodbye to Chelsea, with Villa and several other Premier League clubs waiting in the wings.
Villa are particularly interested in wrapping up a deal with the London outfit, considering they have fond memories of the Englishman’s previous spell with the club.
Abraham excelled during a season-long loan in the Midlands back in 2018/19, completing the campaign as the club’s top scorer with 26 goals.
After playing a pivotal role in Villa’s return to England’s top-flight, Smith is keen to bring him back to the club this summer.
Villa already have Ollie Watkins to lead the line, but Wesley Moraes’ long-term injury left them with no cover.
Abraham is their preferred option, but it will take a substantial financial sacrifice to convince Chelsea to green-light the move.
However, Jack Grealish’s anticipated big-money move to Manchester City could help Villa raise funds for new signings.
- Niklas Sule wanted to join Tottenham Hotspur in 2019
- Jamie Carragher claims Arsenal and Tottenham are no longer part of ‘Big Six’
- Michael Owen becomes ambassador for Pakistan Football League
- More woes for Newcastle United as Bruce confirms two more injury blows
- Antonio Conte not interested in Barcelona or Arsenal job
- 5 summer signings who have already exceeded expectations at their new clubs
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Manchester City
- Everton could make January move for Newcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff
- Rangers would be open to selling Glen Kamara next year despite new contract