Atletico Madrid are assessing the possibility of launching a summer bid for the resurgent Manchester United winger Jesse Lingard.
Despite boasting one of the fiercest attacking lines in Europe’s top-five divisions, the reigning La Liga champions are interested in signing Lingard, 90min reports.
The 28-year-old is United’s homegrown star, having come through the ranks at Old Trafford before earning his first senior contract in 2011.
After producing a few decent loan spells at Leicester City, Birmingham City, Brighton & Hove Albion and Derby County, Lingard returned to Manchester in 2015/16.
He had since grown into one of the Red Devils’ first-team regulars before enduring a massive dip in form under the stewardship of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.
The Englishman decided to cut short a two-year misery at the Theatre of Dreams and team up with West Ham United on a six-month loan back in January.
It turned out to be one of the smartest choices as Lingard underwent quite a renaissance at the London Stadium, emerging as one of the Premier League standout performers in 2020/21.
During his brief stint under David Moyes, he clocked up nine goals and five assists in just 16 league outings to return to the national team after a two-year hiatus.
Once Jadon Sancho’s arrival becomes official, attacking potential at United will be bursting at the seams, which means the Red Devils may have to offload Lingard in the coming weeks.
Atletico are ready to offer the winger a long-term contract at the Wanda Metropolitano, particularly in light of growing speculations about Saul Niguez’s departure for Barcelona.
Diego Simeone is an admirer of Lingard and will challenge West Ham for his signature.
The Hammers are hell-bent on landing the Englishman this summer but have yet to find an agreement with United over the price.
- Arsenal vs Tottenham could decide Champions League fate this midweek
- Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham – The race for the Top 4
- Europa League Semi-Finals Preview: Westham v Frankurt, Leipzig v Rangers
- March 2022’s International Break Preview
- 3 Talking Points From Sunday’s Premier League Action
- Borussia Dortmund closing in on siging Red Bull Salzburg whizz-kid
- Tottenham lining up £18m bid for Wolves speed demon Adama Traore – Would that be a good move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?
- The biggest snubs from the FIFPro World XI shortlist
- Sergio Aguero’s best career moments