Barcelona have been linked with a move for unsettled AC Milan captain Alessio Romagnoli, who could leave the San Siro this summer.
As per Sport, the Catalans are entertaining the idea of including Philippe Coutinho or Miralem Pjanic in a swap deal to land the Italian defender.
Milan are interested in both players, but the duo’s whopping salaries could be a sticking point as they are said to be unwilling to drop their wages.
Ronald Koeman has deemed Coutinho and Pjanic surplus to requirements and is looking to send them away this summer to lower his side’s wage bill.
Although the Rossoneri would be glad to receive both Barca’s outcasts, they cannot afford the pair’s salaries and would need them to take a pay cut.
Meanwhile, Koeman hopes to plug his team’s defensive leaks in the summer and wants to add a top-class centre-back to partner Gerard Pique.
Samuel Umtiti is likely to leave Spain following an injury-plagued two years, while Clement Lenglet failed to deliver consistency.
Therefore, Barcelona have laid their eyes on Romagnoli, who has less than a year left to run on his current contract at the San Siro.
Milan are not enthusiastic about renewing with their out-of-sorts captain as they look to cut ties with all Mino Raiola’s clients following the Gianluigi Donnarumma saga.
Despite being an omnipresent figure for the Rossoneri for five years beforehand, Romagnoli fell down the pecking order under Stefano Pioli down the final stretch of last season.
Indeed, the 26-year-old endured a dip in form, which saw Simon Kjaer and Fikayo Tomori become Pioli’s preferred centre-back duo.
After managing to secure the Englishman’s services permanently earlier in the summer, Milan could be willing to sell Romagnoli in the ongoing transfer window.
- Tottenham and Wolves open talks for Conor Coady
- Newcastle United ready to launch summer bid for Aaron Ramsey
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking