Brighton & Hove Albion will accelerate their pursuit of Odsonne Edouard after Celtic’s Champions League second-leg qualifier against FC Midtjylland.
As per the Daily Mail, the Seagulls are poised to concretise their long-term interest in the highly-rated striker as they look to make a £20million bid for the Hoops star.
Celtic’s hopes of reaching the Champions League group stages are on the line following a 1-1 home draw with the Danish side in Scotland.
The Parkhead side travel to Denmark for the return leg on Wednesday for a crunch meeting with Midtjylland that might decide the faith of Edouard and several other players.
New manager Ange Postecoglou has already admitted he won’t try to prevent any unsettled players from quitting Celtic Park this summer.
One of the players whose future in Scotland is up in the air is Edouard, who has generated a lot of interest from the Premier League over the past couple of seasons.
The 23-year-old has been a massive hit in the Scottish Premiership since moving from Paris Saint-Germain in 2017.
Brighton and Crystal Palace are ready to go head-to-head for the Frenchman’s signature, with Celtic looking to sell the player to the highest bidder.
A paltry goalscoring return in 2020/21 has prompted the Seagulls boss Graham Potter to step up Brighton’s pursuit of a new marksman.
Alireza Jahanbakhsh already left the Amex Stadium to link up with Feyenoord, leaving Danny Welbeck and Neal Maupay as the only reliable options for the centre-forward role.
Meanwhile, Brighton made a substantial investment to sign the talented midfielder Enock Mwepu from RB Salzburg.
The Seagulls are keen to avoid another scary season and bringing Edouard could help them improve a disappointing average of 1.05 goals scored per Premier League fixture last term.
- Tottenham Lining Up £18m Bid for Wolves Speed Demon Adama Traore – Would That Be a Good Move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?
- The biggest snubs from the FIFPro World XI shortlist
- Sergio Aguero’s best career moments
- Champions League round of 16 draw: The previous meetings
- Europa League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Champions League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Barcelona – Where did it all go wrong?
- The decisive games in the Europa League group stage
- The decisive games in the Champions League group stage