[dropcap]S[/dropcap]ince Steven Gerrard’s hamstring injury in February, Jordan Henderson has been deputizing as the Liverpool captain. Henderson’s stunning form has coincided with his stand in role as captain, and also Liverpool’s current run of good form. With Steven Gerrard leaving for MLS club LA Galaxy next season, it is expected that Henderson will take up the role of Liverpool skipper.
This position may not be a certainty for Henderson. As vice captain, the English midfielder is the favourite for the position, but players like Martin Škrtel, Daniel Sturridge and even youngster Emre Can have shown their quality as leaders on and off the pitch.
Henderson was appointed as the Liverpool vice-captain at the beginning of the current season. In the Premier League, Henderson has captained the Red’s in six games, and Liverpool have been successful in all of the six games that the 24 year old has captained.
When asked about the speculation around next season’s captaincy Henderson told the official Liverpool FC Magazine “next season we’ll see what happens because it might not be me succeeding Stevie (Steven Gerrard), it might be someone else.”
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers had his say on the issue last month saying it was “not necessarily the case” that Henderson would captain Liverpool next season.
With Steven Gerrard’s expected return against Swansea this Monday, Henderson is expected to hand the skipper’s armband back to Gerrard. Henderson has shown his quality as a leader for Liverpool on and off the pitch, but the captaincy of Liverpool next year is still not a certainty.
- Tottenham Lining Up £18m Bid for Wolves Speed Demon Adama Traore – Would That Be a Good Move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?
- The biggest snubs from the FIFPro World XI shortlist
- Sergio Aguero’s best career moments
- Champions League round of 16 draw: The previous meetings
- Europa League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Champions League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Barcelona – Where did it all go wrong?
- The decisive games in the Europa League group stage
- The decisive games in the Champions League group stage