[dropcap]S[/dropcap]ince Steven Gerrard’s hamstring injury in February, Jordan Henderson has been deputizing as the Liverpool captain. Henderson’s stunning form has coincided with his stand in role as captain, and also Liverpool’s current run of good form. With Steven Gerrard leaving for MLS club LA Galaxy next season, it is expected that Henderson will take up the role of Liverpool skipper.
This position may not be a certainty for Henderson. As vice captain, the English midfielder is the favourite for the position, but players like Martin Škrtel, Daniel Sturridge and even youngster Emre Can have shown their quality as leaders on and off the pitch.
Henderson was appointed as the Liverpool vice-captain at the beginning of the current season. In the Premier League, Henderson has captained the Red’s in six games, and Liverpool have been successful in all of the six games that the 24 year old has captained.
When asked about the speculation around next season’s captaincy Henderson told the official Liverpool FC Magazine “next season we’ll see what happens because it might not be me succeeding Stevie (Steven Gerrard), it might be someone else.”
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers had his say on the issue last month saying it was “not necessarily the case” that Henderson would captain Liverpool next season.
With Steven Gerrard’s expected return against Swansea this Monday, Henderson is expected to hand the skipper’s armband back to Gerrard. Henderson has shown his quality as a leader for Liverpool on and off the pitch, but the captaincy of Liverpool next year is still not a certainty.
- 2024 UEFA Champions League Predictions, Surprises, and Insights
- Top tips for planning a football training session
- Wolves in talks with Corinthians over late move for Yuri Alberto
- Premier League: Everton vs Manchester City preview, prediction & team news
- Preview: North Macedonia vs England – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Study reveals the most accessible Premier League stadiums
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?