Everton could make a fresh approach to sign Newcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff during the January transfer window, Liverpool Echo reports.
The Toffees were interested in the 23-year-old earlier this summer, and it appears that they are planning a renewed approach for January.
Longstaff has entered the final year of his contract, and the Toffees believe they can land him on a cut-price transfer at the turn of the year.
The club largely depended on free transfer signings this summer amid Financial Fair Play concerns and spent just £1.8 million on Demarai Gray.
The recent exit of James Rodriguez, who was on £200,000-per-week, will ease their financial burden. It is claimed that the club are likely to spend in January.
The Toffees may have spent little during the summer transfer window, but some signings have already made a significant impact on their performances.
Gray has been a revelation since returning to the Premier League from Bayer Leverkusen. He has already bagged three goals from his five appearances this term.
Andros Townsend has also been a quality signing for Benitez. He recently scored a stunner in the 3-1 comeback win over Burnley at Goodison Park.
Asmir Begovic and Solomon Rondon have also been actively involved. Benitez could be backed with funds to bolster the squad further in January.
Longstaff was widely talked about a few years ago when he was heavily linked with Manchester United, but he has gone off the radar a little.
The 23-year-old has shown signs of returning to form this term. The midfielder has snubbed a new Magpies deal, and he appears to see his future elsewhere.
The Toffees were reportedly interested in his services earlier this summer. A swap deal involving Tom Davies was proposed, but they rejected the offer.
Longstaff is currently valued at £13.5 million by Transfermarkt, but the Magpies are unlikely to get anything close to that figure if they sell him in January.
The midfielder has not lived up to his early promise at the Tyneside outfit, but Benitez could back his potential, having recently got the best out of Gray.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Premier League – October 24, 2021 – Preview & Predictions
- Tactical Analysis: Kieran Tierney’s absence against Aston Villa might have been a blessing in disguise for Arsenal
- Thomas Tuchel delivers fitness update on Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner following Malmo clash
- Who will be Newcastle United’s next manager?
- Tactical Analysis: How Phil Foden pulled the strings for Manchester City against Club Brugge as a false nine
- Data Analysis: Mohamed Salah is the best player in the English Premier League right now
- Steve Bruce’s milestone, Harry Kane’s return to form: 5 talking points from Tottenham’s win against Newcastle
- Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskajer replies to Sir Alex Ferguson’s comments on not starting Cristiano Ronaldo every game
- Juventus aiming to ship Aaron Ramsey back to Premier League
- What next for Raheem Sterling?