Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp was delighted for Sadio Mane after he hit the 100-goal landmark for the club during the 3-0 Premier League win over Crystal Palace.
The Reds have had an excellent record against the Eagles over the years. They registered their ninth-straight league win over them with a solid performance at Anfield.
Mane has astonishingly scored in each of those victories. He netted with a simple tap-in from a rebound on Saturday.
The goal meant that he became the 18th player in the club’s long history to amass 100 goals. He managed to achieve the feat in his 234th appearance across all competitions.
Speaking after the game, Klopp said that Mane’s contribution is beyond his goals and highlighted his defensive work, counter-pressing runs and assists for his teammates.
He told Liverpoolfc.com: “People obviously forget, but around these 100 goals he worked incredibly hard, defended for us the wing, pressed high, counter-pressed, created goals, set up chances, all that kind of stuff.”
“So the 100 goals are just one number, there are so many other numbers which are similarly important, but I’m really happy for him that he could reach that today. Yeah, a massive achievement.
“In the glorious history of this club only 18 players – if that is right – scored 100 goals. That says a lot.
“Nowadays players are usually not that long in clubs so I am really happy that I could work now already for five years with Sad and he’s just a top player.”
Mane was far from his best in the Premier League last term, registering just 11 goals and eight assists from 35 outings.
He has started the current season in a much better fashion with three goals from five league appearances.
The 29-year-old has entered his sixth campaign with the club. They will be keen to keep him for several more years.
His current £100,000-per-week contract expires at the end of the 2022/23 campaign.
A new deal could be on the horizon, having committed several key players to improved contracts already.
The Reds are currently in negotiations with Mohamed Salah over a renewal and could shift their focus to Mane soon.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Thomas Tuchel delivers fitness update on Romelu Lukaku and Timo Werner following Malmo clash
- Who will be Newcastle United’s next manager?
- Tactical Analysis: How Phil Foden pulled the strings for Manchester City against Club Brugge as a false nine
- Data Analysis: Mohamed Salah is the best player in the English Premier League right now
- Steve Bruce’s milestone, Harry Kane’s return to form: 5 talking points from Tottenham’s win against Newcastle
- Man Utd boss Ole Gunnar Solskajer replies to Sir Alex Ferguson’s comments on not starting Cristiano Ronaldo every game
- Juventus aiming to ship Aaron Ramsey back to Premier League
- What next for Raheem Sterling?
- Five Best Games To Watch This Weekend
- Lampard not the answer if Newcastle owners are serious about turning the club around