After months of exhausting negotiations between Juventus and Sassuolo over in-demand midfielder Manuel Locatelli, the two clubs have finally found an agreement.
According to Italian publication Tuttosport, Juventus will part with £26 million to sign the European Championship winner, with the official announcement expected to come soon.
Although Locatelli will initially arrive on loan, Juventus will have to purchase him permanently next summer due to an obligation-to-buy clause.
The news about the imminent agreement between the Serie A club comes as a massive blow for Arsenal, who were also in contention to snap up Locatelli.
Despite trailing Juventus in the race to sign the 23-year-old, the Gunners had faint hopes they would be able to prevail, thanks to the Turin giants’ hesitance to meet Sassuolo’s demands.
Arsenal made several attempts to land the prodigious playmaker earlier in the summer, though it quickly became evident the player’s preferred destination was the Allianz Stadium.
The prospect of plying his trade at one of the most prominent clubs in his homeland has turned out to be too tempting to resist for one of the most coveted youngsters in Europe.
Locatelli’s move to Juventus will see Sassuolo make a substantial profit as they dished out £10m to take him away from AC Milan two years ago.
That leaves Arsenal short of midfield targets after Martin Odegaard, Matteo Guendouzi and Dani Ceballos left the Emirates Stadium this summer.
Mikel Arteta could use another midfield presence despite recently signing Albert Sambi Lokonga from Anderlecht.
The Gunners are still hopeful of bringing Odegaard back from Real Madrid, with talks between the clubs ongoing.
- Tottenham Lining Up £18m Bid for Wolves Speed Demon Adama Traore – Would That Be a Good Move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?
- The biggest snubs from the FIFPro World XI shortlist
- Sergio Aguero’s best career moments
- Champions League round of 16 draw: The previous meetings
- Europa League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Champions League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Barcelona – Where did it all go wrong?
- The decisive games in the Europa League group stage
- The decisive games in the Champions League group stage