Juventus could go head-to-head with Chelsea to sign Monaco midfielder Aurelien Tchouameni in January, Italian outlet Calciomercato reports.
The Bianconeri were keen on signing the Frenchman this summer, but their loan proposal with a permanent buy clause was turned down by Monaco.
The Ligue 1 outfit preferred a permanent deal. The Bianconeri could not afford that after failing to offload Aaron Ramsey and Weston McKennie.
It is now reported that the club are keen to please manager Massimiliano Allegri with a fresh move for Tchouameni during the winter transfer window.
The Turin giants have identified the midfielder as a priority, but they could face stiff competition from Chelsea, who are likely to accelerate their pursuit.
Tchouameni had his breakout season with Monaco last term, bagging three goals and four assists from 42 games.
He can feature in the central and defensive midfield positions but has excelled playing in the latter of those roles.
He averaged 3.5 tackles and 1.7 interceptions per league game last term alongside 2.4 aerial duels.
The 21-year-old has the hallmarks of becoming a top-class box-to-box midfielder in the future.
Tchouameni recently made his debut for France, which could drive up his transfer valuation.
He is valued at €30 million by Transfermarkt, but Monaco could hold up for a higher fee for his services.
They are still in a strong position to negotiate with nearly three years remaining on his contract.
The Blues have handed minutes to several club graduates recently. Tchouameni could be seen as a long-term prospect.
The Bianconeri will hope to lure him with the assurance of a starting role from the off.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Preview: North Macedonia vs England – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Study reveals the most accessible Premier League stadiums
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Preview: Brentford vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League officials to pause games to allow Muslim players to break fast during Ramadan
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups