[dropcap]W[/dropcap]hilst not really being a ‘new’ talent as such, ‘Koke’ or Jorge Resurrección Merodio has been ever present in the Atlético setup since his debut in 2009.
One of the many talented Spanish creative midfielders, Koke prefers to occupy the left side of an attacking front three in the Madrid side, mainly because he can cut in on his favoured right foot and fulfill the role of an auxiliary trequartista, if need be.
With an estimated value at £30 million, it’s clear that Atletico Madrid have an excellent talent on their hands.
Whilst he isn’t a youngster at 23, he definitely has his best playing years ahead of him, and with his increasing role in the revamped Spain side and his mainstay status at Atletico, it appears he’s on the right path to superstardom.
This is without mentioning the fact that he has had more assists and key passes than Barcelona world-beater Neymar in both the 2013/14 and 2014/15 campaigns in La Liga.
Unlike Neymar however, Koke isn’t a goalscorer, he’ll rarely score more than five or six a season.
But in no way is this his purpose in the game, Simeone deploys him as creative player who can bring others into play and play others in.
Vicente Del Bosque described him as being ‘a very complete midfielder’ and having the ability to do ‘virtually everything in that role’ – perfectly summing up his extraordinary versatility and footballing intelligence on the pitch.
Demonstrating some similarities to the legendary David Beckham, Koke is a master of the free-kick and dead-ball situations as well as possessing a remarkable crossing ability – illustrated during the 2013/14 season with him being synonymous with assists to now Chelsea star – Diego Costa.
Another Chelsea player (or now former Chelsea player) also sings his praises in the form of Brazilian full-back Filipe Luís. Having risen through the Atleti ranks with Koke, Luis comments on Koke’s development by saying “What surprised me the most is how he has developed since then – much, much, much more than any player I’ve seen before”.
A true out and out creative midfielder, Koke is blessed with exemplary techinque, fabulous vision and the rare ability to see a pass that no-one else can – after all, to be picked as a creative midfielder for Spain, you need to have such requisites in abundance and Jorge Resurrección Merodio certainly does.
- Preview: North Macedonia vs England – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Study reveals the most accessible Premier League stadiums
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Preview: Brentford vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League officials to pause games to allow Muslim players to break fast during Ramadan
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups