Liverpool and Manchester United have joined Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur in the race to sign Lyon playmaker Houssem Aouar.
As per Le10Sport, the Reds have identified the Frenchman as Georginio Wijnaldum’s long-term successor at Anfield and are ready to challenge their Premier League rivals for his signature.
Aouar was keen to join Arsenal last summer, but the Gunners failed to match Lyon’s demands despite continuous attempts to land the midfielder.
The 23-year-old is in the final year of his contract at the Groupama Stadium, which puts Les Gones in an awkward situation in the current transfer window.
After being informed of the player’s desire to leave Ligue 1, Lyon are reportedly ready to let him go for a reduced fee of £21million.
The French side’s readiness to negotiate Aouar’s departure on favourable terms has prompted Arsenal to reignite their interest in the gifted playmaker.
Mikel Arteta is desperate to find a suitable replacement for Mesut Ozil, but his pursuit of the Lyon youth academy product has suffered a massive blow.
Liverpool are looking to beat bitter Premier League rivals to Aouar’s signing following Wijnaldum’s exit for Paris Saint-Germain.
The Dutchman was one of the vital cogs in Jurgen Klopp’s machine, and his departure has left a huge void in the Reds midfield.
The German manager sees the talented Frenchman as an ideal replacement for Gini and is ready to launch an assault on one of the best-performing Ligue 1 stars.
Aouar played a prominent role in Lyon’s impressive Champions League run in 2019/20 and was part of the team that finished fourth in Ligue 1 last season.
Old Trafford could be another potential landing spot for the highly-rated youngster, especially if Paul Pogba decides to sever ties with United.
The 28-year-old’s future in Manchester is hanging in the balance as Mino Raiola continues to torment the Red Devils’ hierarchy over his client’s new deal.
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking
- Tottenham’s sporting director Fabio Paratici targeting Juventus’ Aaron Ramsey
- Jurgen Klopp makes transfer decision on injury-prone Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain