Liverpool and Manchester United have joined Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur in the race to sign Lyon playmaker Houssem Aouar.
As per Le10Sport, the Reds have identified the Frenchman as Georginio Wijnaldum’s long-term successor at Anfield and are ready to challenge their Premier League rivals for his signature.
Aouar was keen to join Arsenal last summer, but the Gunners failed to match Lyon’s demands despite continuous attempts to land the midfielder.
The 23-year-old is in the final year of his contract at the Groupama Stadium, which puts Les Gones in an awkward situation in the current transfer window.
After being informed of the player’s desire to leave Ligue 1, Lyon are reportedly ready to let him go for a reduced fee of £21million.
The French side’s readiness to negotiate Aouar’s departure on favourable terms has prompted Arsenal to reignite their interest in the gifted playmaker.
Mikel Arteta is desperate to find a suitable replacement for Mesut Ozil, but his pursuit of the Lyon youth academy product has suffered a massive blow.
Liverpool are looking to beat bitter Premier League rivals to Aouar’s signing following Wijnaldum’s exit for Paris Saint-Germain.
The Dutchman was one of the vital cogs in Jurgen Klopp’s machine, and his departure has left a huge void in the Reds midfield.
The German manager sees the talented Frenchman as an ideal replacement for Gini and is ready to launch an assault on one of the best-performing Ligue 1 stars.
Aouar played a prominent role in Lyon’s impressive Champions League run in 2019/20 and was part of the team that finished fourth in Ligue 1 last season.
Old Trafford could be another potential landing spot for the highly-rated youngster, especially if Paul Pogba decides to sever ties with United.
The 28-year-old’s future in Manchester is hanging in the balance as Mino Raiola continues to torment the Red Devils’ hierarchy over his client’s new deal.
- Best Champions League Matches To Watch Next Week
- From Cucurella to Wijnaldum – 5 Expected Transfers In August 2022
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp delivers injury update on Alisson & Diogo Jota
- Who will partner Frenkie de Jong in Man Utd’s midfield?
- Latest Premier League Transfer News: Lautaro Martinez delivers update on his future amid Tottenham links
- Arsenal vs Tottenham could decide Champions League fate this midweek
- Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham – The race for the Top 4
- Europa League Semi-Finals Preview: Westham v Frankurt, Leipzig v Rangers
- March 2022’s International Break Preview
- 3 Talking Points From Sunday’s Premier League Action