Manchester United attacker Jesse Lingard turned down the opportunity to rejoin West Ham United this summer, 90min reports.
The England international had a superb loan stint with the Hammers earlier this year, bagging nine goals and five assists from 16 appearances.
He was widely fancied to re-sign for the Hammers on a permanent deal, but a move did not materialise before Tuesday’s transfer deadline.
The Hammers opted to sign Nikola Vlasic from CSKA Moscow instead for £25 million. It is now revealed that Lingard snubbed the chance to rejoin them.
Lingard personally told his decision to joint-chairman David Sullivan, which changed the Hammers’ transfer plans.
With just 10 months left on his contract, it was widely suggested that Lingard could be tempted to secure a permanent move to the London stadium.
However, the £19.8m-rated star was content to stay with United amid fierce competition for places.
The 28-year-old has played just four minutes for the Red Devils this season, and his game time in the league may not improve soon.
With Cristiano Ronaldo’s surprise return, there will be more competition for places out wide.
Mason Greenwood, Jadon Sancho, Anthony Martial and Marcus Rashford could compete with Lingard. Paul Pogba has also excelled from the left wing.
Despite this, it appears that the attacker is prepared to give another go at reviving his United career. It won’t be a surprise if he signs an extension.
Meanwhile, the Hammers will be disappointed at missing out on Lingard’s services as he was influential in their sixth-place finish in the league last term.
However, they have recruited a talented playmaker in Vlasic, who will be keen to prove a point after previously struggling to make his mark at Everton.
He is just entering the prime of his career at 23. He had an impressive 2020/21 campaign for CSKA, bagging 11 goals and five assists from 26 league outings.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Jamie Carragher claims Arsenal and Tottenham are no longer part of ‘Big Six’
- Michael Owen becomes ambassador for Pakistan Football League
- More woes for Newcastle United as Bruce confirms two more injury blows
- Antonio Conte not interested in Barcelona or Arsenal job
- 5 summer signings who have already exceeded expectations at their new clubs
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur
- Mark Lawrenson states his prediction for Chelsea vs Manchester City
- Everton could make January move for Newcastle United midfielder Sean Longstaff
- Rangers would be open to selling Glen Kamara next year despite new contract
- Aston Villa offering big salary raise to Cameron Archer to avoid free transfer exit