Some Manchester United fans hailed Cristiano Ronaldo following his sublime brace in Portugal’s 2-1 win over Republic of Ireland on Wednesday.
Portugal were made to work hard in the World Cup qualifier. It was eventually left to Ronaldo to change the tide of the game in the dying minutes.
The 36-year-old had a disappointing opening half at the Estadio Algarve. He saw his penalty saved in the 16th minute.
Meanwhile, compatriot Diogo Jota hit the woodwork midway through the half when it seemed like a sure-fire goal.
John Egan gave Ireland a surprise lead with a glancing header before the first half interval.
It appeared that the visitors were on course for a historic win until Ronaldo’s late heroics.
The Portuguese captain put his country level with a header in the 89th minute.
With seconds left in injury time, he came up with another trademark header to kill the game.
Portugal looked down and out, but Ronaldo single-handedly changed the complexion of the qualifier.
With his first goal, Ronaldo created history by becoming the highest international scorer in men’s football.
Many United fans were keeping a close watch on him, and a few expressed their delight on Twitter.
Here are a few reactions.
Ronaldo clinched the victory for Portugal, but he won’t face Azerbaijan in the qualifier next week as he is suspended.
He picked up his second yellow card of the qualifying campaign after taking off his shirt in the celebrations.
That will be a boost for United as he could be permitted to return early from international duty.
The €45 million-rated star could still opt to stay with the squad, given his strong commitment towards Portugal.
Portugal travel to Qatar for a friendly this weekend.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups
- Inter Milan eyeing a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Emerson Royal
- Premier League stars at the 2022 World Cup
- Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Best Champions League Matches To Watch Next Week
- From Cucurella to Wijnaldum – 5 Expected Transfers In August 2022
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp delivers injury update on Alisson & Diogo Jota
- Who will partner Frenkie de Jong in Man Utd’s midfield?
- Latest Premier League Transfer News: Lautaro Martinez delivers update on his future amid Tottenham links
- Arsenal vs Tottenham could decide Champions League fate this midweek