Manchester United have reportedly overtaken Arsenal in the race to sign Wolverhampton Wanderers midfielder Ruben Neves.
The Red Devils are pushing ahead for the signing of the Portugal international and have already leapfrogged the Gunners in the chase, talkSPORT reports.
Arsenal long seemed to be the front-runners in the race to land Neves, but they could be on the brink of missing out on his signature following the latest turn of events.
Mikel Arteta is a big admirer of the 24-year-old, who has excelled in the Premier League since arriving from Porto in 2017.
However, Arsenal’s inability to strike an agreement with Wolves has opened the door for United, who are now in pole position to sign the highly-rated midfielder.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer lacks quality in the middle of the park.
Paul Pogba’s future at Old Trafford is up in the air, with Paris Saint-Germain working hard to bring the World Cup winner back to his homeland.
While Nemanja Matic is not getting any younger, Scott McTominay and Fred have both struggled for form and consistency, proving they are not the title-winning material.
Therefore, Solskjaer needs to add another top-class midfielder to soak up the limelight as the link between the backline and star-studded attack.
Neves ticks all the boxes for the profile the Norwegian wants to hire this summer.
He is defensively robust, while he also ensures pinpoint passing and excellent ball distribution around the pitch.
Wolves are reportedly ready to sanction their star’s departure for a fee of £35million, which is a reasonable price considering the current market state.
In addition to Neves, United are also keeping close tabs on Declan Rice, Eduardo Camavinga and Saul Niguez.
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking
- Tottenham’s sporting director Fabio Paratici targeting Juventus’ Aaron Ramsey
- Jurgen Klopp makes transfer decision on injury-prone Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain