Manchester United remain interested in West Ham United midfielder Declan Rice and could approach to sign him next summer, ESPN reports.
The Red Devils prioritised a new winger and centre-back during the recent transfer window, and they achieved their target with Jadon Sancho and Raphael Varane.
A return for Cristiano Ronaldo was not on the cards, but they made the surprise move to re-sign him before deadline day after the Portuguese opted to leave Juventus.
It is now reported that they could set their sights on landing a new midfielder ahead of the 2022/23 campaign. Rice is among the top names being considered by the club.
Rice, who has also been heavily linked with Chelsea, was valued at over £80 million by the Hammers this summer which put off interested clubs from making an offer.
The 22-year-old is keen to play in the Champions League. United could make a move to sign him if the Hammers are willing to lower their price tag next summer.
United were the big winners of the summer transfer window as they solidified two problematic positions.
They also brought back Ronaldo after 12 years. The 36-year-old will ensure plenty of goals this term.
The club are definitely going in the right direction and could mount a serious challenge for the league title.
Despite this, many fans have voiced concerns over the club opting against signing a new defensive midfielder.
Atletico Madrid’s Saul Niguez was in the market, but he joined Chelsea on loan with an option to buy.
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is reportedly a firm admirer of Rice, and he could be the prime target next summer.
The England international has developed into one of the league’s most consistent midfield players.
He has been offered multiple renewal offers by the Hammers but has declined to sign without a release clause.
Rice still has three years left on his contract with the option of a 12-month extension clause.
The Hammers are not under pressure to sell, but it has been reported that Rice could soon push for an exit.
The reported price tag remains within United’s reach. They could make a serious effort to sign him next year.
Chelsea could be the prime competitors as they have been linked with their graduate on numerous occasions.
With Jorginho linked with a possible Serie A return, Rice could be seen as a potential replacement.
Rice’s ability to play in central defence could be another factor for the Blues, who operate with a back three.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Preview: Brentford vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League officials to pause games to allow Muslim players to break fast during Ramadan
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups
- Inter Milan eyeing a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Emerson Royal
- Premier League stars at the 2022 World Cup