Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford was delighted for Cristiano Ronaldo after scoring on his second debut for the club on Saturday afternoon.
The Portuguese star was picked to lead the line against Newcastle United at Old Trafford. He had a terrific impact on his homecoming with a goal in either half.
He opened the scoring right before the interval. A poor parried save from goalkeeper Freddie Woodman handed him a simple tap in from a couple of yards out.
The Magpies levelled the proceedings shortly after the break, but Ronaldo gave the Red Devils a 2-1 lead following the hour mark with a powerful left-footed shot.
The 36-year-old nutmegged the shot-stopper with his low effort. United eventually secured a comfortable 4-1 win. A stunning long-range goal from Bruno Fernandes was the highlight.
Rashford considers Ronaldo as his idol with his free-kick technique resembling the Portuguese’s. He quickly praised Ronaldo on social media after the opening goal in first-half stoppage time.
Ronaldo was widely expected to start on his second debut. There were no surprises when he found the back of the net, given his sublime scoring record over the years.
The Portuguese remains one of the best in the business despite being 36. He made a big difference yesterday as the Magpies put in a good defensive shift for an hour.
With Ronaldo back at the club, United are considered genuine title challengers, but there is room for improvement when it comes to their defensive displays.
The Magpies had their moments in their game on the counter-attack. Maguire has not been at his best this season and needs to step up. His missed challenge higher up the field contributed to the Magpies’ equaliser.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
- Tottenham Lining Up £18m Bid for Wolves Speed Demon Adama Traore – Would That Be a Good Move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?
- The biggest snubs from the FIFPro World XI shortlist
- Sergio Aguero’s best career moments
- Champions League round of 16 draw: The previous meetings
- Europa League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Champions League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Barcelona – Where did it all go wrong?
- The decisive games in the Europa League group stage
- The decisive games in the Champions League group stage