Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta was delighted with the performance of Gabriel Magalhaes during the club’s 1-0 Premier League win at Burnley.
The Gunners registered a second-straight league win on Saturday, but they had to put in a good defensive shift to secure maximum points.
Gabriel produced a superb showing in the heart of the defence, winning four aerial duels, three tackles alongside eight clearances.
He told Arsenal.com: “We know that he’s a player with an incredible future and is already giving us a lot. He has adapted really well to the league.”
“That’s why we signed him. He is stepping in, his language is much better and he can coach and communicate much better with with his teammates.
“He understands what we want and I don’t think it gets much harder than playing here in the Premier League. He was terrific today.”
The Gunners lacked a strong aerial presence at the back in the first three league games. Gabriel was on the sidelines recovering from a knee injury.
Since the resumption after the international break, Arteta has got the chance to play his preferred defensive quartet.
Against Burnley, Ben White had a few nervous moments with the ball at his feet, but Gabriel did not hesitate and remained focus on his duties.
The former’s confidence grew towards the final stretch. Gabriel should receive some credit for that as he was on guard to win duels earlier in the game.
The north London club made a disastrous start to the league season with three defeats, but they have returned from the break with successive victories.
Those were winnable games on paper, and the real test will come when they host arch-rivals Tottenham Hotspur at the Emirates Stadium next weekend.
Arteta now has a settled backline of White, Gabriel, Takehiro Tomiyasu and Kieran Tierney, and the onus will be on building a better understanding.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Preview: North Macedonia vs England – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Study reveals the most accessible Premier League stadiums
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Preview: Brentford vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League officials to pause games to allow Muslim players to break fast during Ramadan
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups