Real Madrid have joined the long queue for sought-after Sampdoria winger Mikkel Damsgaard, according to Spanish publication Marca.
Damsgaard swapped Nordsjaelland for the Stadio Luigi Ferraris last summer for a reported fee of €7million, putting pen to paper on a four-year deal.
The highly-rated youngster clocked up 35 Serie A appearances for Sampdoria last season, registering 18 league starts and accruing two goals and four assists.
However, the 21-year-old forward came under the spotlight at Euro 2020, stringing a series of eye-catching performances as Denmark reached the semi-finals.
Damsgaard was the first player to score against England at the tournament, slotting home a thunderous free-kick in his side’s 2-1 extra-time semi-final loss.
His blistering showings on the biggest European stage have not gone unnoticed, with a host of top clubs adding the Dane to their shopping lists.
Tottenham, Liverpool and Juventus have emerged as Damsgaard’s biggest admirers, but Los Merengues have now joined the fray, as relayed by Marca.
After failing to land a single piece of silverware last season, the Spanish heavyweights will be looking to add several players to their aging squad in the summer.
With the likes of Rodrygo and Vinicius Junior underperforming for most of their Santiago Bernabeu careers, Madrid are on the lookout for a new wide forward.
Marco Asensio endured an injury-riddled 2020/21 campaign but should return in contention for a place in the starting line-up next season.
However, newly-appointed Los Blancos boss Carlo Ancelotti wants to recruit another top-notch forward to help Karim Benzema in the front third next term.
The 13-time European Cup winners have become reliant on the 33-year-old’s goals, which will force Florentino Perez’s hand in the ongoing transfer window.
Widely regarded as one of the hottest Serie A prospects, Damsgaard fits the profile for the type of player Ancelotti wants to sign, and a deal could take place in the coming weeks.
- 2024 UEFA Champions League Predictions, Surprises, and Insights
- Top tips for planning a football training session
- Wolves in talks with Corinthians over late move for Yuri Alberto
- Premier League: Everton vs Manchester City preview, prediction & team news
- Preview: North Macedonia vs England – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Study reveals the most accessible Premier League stadiums
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?