Real Madrid have joined the long queue for sought-after Sampdoria winger Mikkel Damsgaard, according to Spanish publication Marca.
Damsgaard swapped Nordsjaelland for the Stadio Luigi Ferraris last summer for a reported fee of €7million, putting pen to paper on a four-year deal.
The highly-rated youngster clocked up 35 Serie A appearances for Sampdoria last season, registering 18 league starts and accruing two goals and four assists.
However, the 21-year-old forward came under the spotlight at Euro 2020, stringing a series of eye-catching performances as Denmark reached the semi-finals.
Damsgaard was the first player to score against England at the tournament, slotting home a thunderous free-kick in his side’s 2-1 extra-time semi-final loss.
His blistering showings on the biggest European stage have not gone unnoticed, with a host of top clubs adding the Dane to their shopping lists.
Tottenham, Liverpool and Juventus have emerged as Damsgaard’s biggest admirers, but Los Merengues have now joined the fray, as relayed by Marca.
After failing to land a single piece of silverware last season, the Spanish heavyweights will be looking to add several players to their aging squad in the summer.
With the likes of Rodrygo and Vinicius Junior underperforming for most of their Santiago Bernabeu careers, Madrid are on the lookout for a new wide forward.
Marco Asensio endured an injury-riddled 2020/21 campaign but should return in contention for a place in the starting line-up next season.
However, newly-appointed Los Blancos boss Carlo Ancelotti wants to recruit another top-notch forward to help Karim Benzema in the front third next term.
The 13-time European Cup winners have become reliant on the 33-year-old’s goals, which will force Florentino Perez’s hand in the ongoing transfer window.
Widely regarded as one of the hottest Serie A prospects, Damsgaard fits the profile for the type of player Ancelotti wants to sign, and a deal could take place in the coming weeks.
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking
- Tottenham’s sporting director Fabio Paratici targeting Juventus’ Aaron Ramsey
- Jurgen Klopp makes transfer decision on injury-prone Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain