Real Madrid have pinned a substantial €50million price tag on Raphael Varane’s head amid growing interest from Manchester United.
The highly-rated centre-back has entered the final year of his contract at the Santiago Bernabeu, and he has already informed the club about his desire to secure a new challenge this summer.
Although Madrid remain keen on extending the Frenchman’s deal, the player has so far hesitated on committing his future to the coveted white jersey.
After losing long-serving stalwart Sergio Ramos to Paris Saint-Germain, Florentino Perez is desperate to keep hold of Varane, who has spent ten years in the Spanish capital.
Since arriving from Lens in 2011, Varane has become one of Madrid’s headline performers en route to earning a reputation as one of the finest defenders in Europe’s top-five divisions.
His household status has prompted United to open negotiations with Los Blancos as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer looks to add a new partner for captain Harry Maguire.
Even though Victor Lindelof enjoyed a notable upturn in form this calendar year, including his impressive displays for Sweden at Euro 2020, the Norwegian wants a new centre-back to bolster United’s Premier League title hopes.
Solskjaer’s preferred choice is Varane, with the likes of Villarreal’s Pau Torres and Sevilla’s Jules Kounde also linked with a potential move to Old Trafford.
It’s understood that the Red Devils are spearheading the race for the 28-year-old’s services and are only €5m short of the price tag.
There is a genuine feeling that United will be able to land Varane in the summer, which could prove decisive for their chances of dethroning Manchester City next term.
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking
- Tottenham’s sporting director Fabio Paratici targeting Juventus’ Aaron Ramsey
- Jurgen Klopp makes transfer decision on injury-prone Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain