Aberdeen FC have commissioned a statue of Sir Alex Ferguson to commemorate his “outstanding contribution” to the club.
Sculptor Andy Edwards will produce the bronze statue, which will be located outside the Richard Donald Stand at Pittodrie.
Sir Alex managed the Dons from 1978 to 1986, winning three league titles, four Scottish Cups and one Scottish League cup domestically.
His crowning achievement came in 1982-83 when Aberdeen beat Real Madrid 2-1 to win the UEFA Cup Winners’ Cup in Gothenburg, which was then followed up with a Super Cup victory against Hamburg over two legs.
Sir Alex was awarded the Freedom of the City of Aberdeen in 1999, the same year in which he was knighted.
Reacting to the news of his sculpture, Sir Alex said: “I am thrilled and honoured by this recognition from Aberdeen Football club, where I spent a fantastic and memorable part of my managerial career.”
Aberdeen’s chairman, Dave Cormack added: “Sir Alex’s contribution to the club was immense and it’s fitting that we honour him in this way.
“His arrival at Pittodrie heralded the start of the most successful period in the club’s history and put Aberdeen firmly on the football map in Europe.
“The year after next marks the 40th anniversary of our European Cup Winners Cup triumph in Gothenburg, along with winning the European Super Cup, so while the honour is long overdue, it comes at a fitting time.”
The statue will be based on the photograph taken of Sir Alex at Easter Road in 1980, celebrating the Dons winning the Scottish Premier Division – the first time in 15 years it had been won by a club other than Celtic and Rangers.
The sculpture will be the first of a series at Aberdeen which is planned to celebrate and honour the club’s heroes.
Sir Alex’s statue is expected to be revealed later this year.
- Arsenal fans impressed with Takehiro Tomiyasu’s performance vs Burnley
- Jurgen Klopp delighted for Sadio Mane after landmark moment against Crystal Palace
- Mikel Arteta hails Gabriel Magalhaes’ display vs Burnley
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Leicester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal have not made a contract offer to Alexandre Lacazette
- Liverpool vs Crystal Palace: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona eyeing January loan move for Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling
- Leeds United fans pleased with Rodrigo’s performance in Newcastle United draw
- How Chelsea could line up (3-4-2-1) vs Tottenham Hotspur