Thomas Tuchel has delivered a fitness update on N’Golo Kante ahead of Chelsea’s mouth-watering Premier League clash against Arsenal on Sunday.
According to the German manager, the highly-rated midfielder will be fit for the Blues’ trip to the Emirates Stadium for an all-London top-flight encounter.
“N’Golo felt discomfort in his ankle [on Friday],” Tuchel said as relayed by the Metro.
“He [first] felt it in the warm-up in the Super Cup match against Villarreal. He played a little bit in pain, and [on Friday] he felt it again.
“We decided to take him out and not risk him at the beginning of the season.
“I think N’Golo will be back in the middle of the week to get ready for Arsenal.”
Kante started his side’s UEFA Super Cup showdown against Villarreal but had to leave the pitch in the 65th minute due to an ankle injury.
Even without Kante, Chelsea’s new league season got off to a flyer as they swept Crystal Palace aside with an overwhelming 3-0 victory at Stamford Bridge.
The tireless Frenchman featured in 30 Premier League fixtures last season and played a significant part in the Blues’ title-winning Champions League campaign.
In addition to Kane, Romelu Lukaku, who joined the club in a massive €115 million deal from Inter Milan earlier in August, could also line up against Arsenal.
Chelsea will be keen to erase the traumatic memory of last season’s 3-1 defeat at the Emirates during Frank Lampard’s tutelage.
However, Tuchel’s arrival in January has reinvigorated the Blues, who are now amongst the leading candidates to win the Premier League title.
The roles will be reversed on Sunday, especially considering Arsenal’s disastrous start to the new Premier League season that saw them go down 2-0 to newly-promoted Brentford.
- Arsenal fans impressed with Takehiro Tomiyasu’s performance vs Burnley
- Jurgen Klopp delighted for Sadio Mane after landmark moment against Crystal Palace
- Mikel Arteta hails Gabriel Magalhaes’ display vs Burnley
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Chelsea: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Brighton & Hove Albion vs Leicester City: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Arsenal have not made a contract offer to Alexandre Lacazette
- Liverpool vs Crystal Palace: Premier League Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Barcelona eyeing January loan move for Manchester City’s Raheem Sterling
- Leeds United fans pleased with Rodrigo’s performance in Newcastle United draw
- How Chelsea could line up (3-4-2-1) vs Tottenham Hotspur