Thomas Tuchel has delivered a fitness update on N’Golo Kante ahead of Chelsea’s mouth-watering Premier League clash against Arsenal on Sunday.
According to the German manager, the highly-rated midfielder will be fit for the Blues’ trip to the Emirates Stadium for an all-London top-flight encounter.
“N’Golo felt discomfort in his ankle [on Friday],” Tuchel said as relayed by the Metro.
“He [first] felt it in the warm-up in the Super Cup match against Villarreal. He played a little bit in pain, and [on Friday] he felt it again.
“We decided to take him out and not risk him at the beginning of the season.
“I think N’Golo will be back in the middle of the week to get ready for Arsenal.”
Kante started his side’s UEFA Super Cup showdown against Villarreal but had to leave the pitch in the 65th minute due to an ankle injury.
Even without Kante, Chelsea’s new league season got off to a flyer as they swept Crystal Palace aside with an overwhelming 3-0 victory at Stamford Bridge.
The tireless Frenchman featured in 30 Premier League fixtures last season and played a significant part in the Blues’ title-winning Champions League campaign.
In addition to Kane, Romelu Lukaku, who joined the club in a massive €115 million deal from Inter Milan earlier in August, could also line up against Arsenal.
Chelsea will be keen to erase the traumatic memory of last season’s 3-1 defeat at the Emirates during Frank Lampard’s tutelage.
However, Tuchel’s arrival in January has reinvigorated the Blues, who are now amongst the leading candidates to win the Premier League title.
The roles will be reversed on Sunday, especially considering Arsenal’s disastrous start to the new Premier League season that saw them go down 2-0 to newly-promoted Brentford.
- Tottenham Lining Up £18m Bid for Wolves Speed Demon Adama Traore – Would That Be a Good Move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?
- The biggest snubs from the FIFPro World XI shortlist
- Sergio Aguero’s best career moments
- Champions League round of 16 draw: The previous meetings
- Europa League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Champions League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Barcelona – Where did it all go wrong?
- The decisive games in the Europa League group stage
- The decisive games in the Champions League group stage