Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers have reportedly held preliminary talks for highly-rated centre-back Conor Coady.
According to Football Insider, Spurs have sounded out Wolves over Coady’s availability as they look to increase their quality at the back.
After sanctioning Toby Alderwireld’s transfer to Al-Duhail, the Londoners are also looking to engineer Davinson Sanchez’s £42 million move to Sevilla.
The Andalusian giants look destined to lose Jules Kounde to Chelsea in the coming weeks and want Sanchez to take his place next term.
If the Colombian ends up joining the Spanish outfit, Nuno Espirito Santo would be left with Eric Dier and Joe Rodon as his only available centre-back options.
So the ex-Wolves manager wants to make sure to add at least one top-class defender in the summer and wants a reunion with Coady.
The pair spent four years working together at Molineux, and Espirito Santo is quite familiar with the 28-year-old’s capabilities.
Coady was a constant figure for Wolves during the Portuguese manager’s tenure, missing just a single Premier League match in three seasons.
The Englishman’s rise to stardom at Molineux saw him earn a place in Gareth Southgate’s European Championship squad.
Given his household status at Wolves, it may sound surprising that Coady earns ‘only’ £16k a week, a salary Tottenham should have no problem matching.
The Liverpool youth academy graduate boasts plenty of experience in the Premier League and could be the perfect replacement for Alderwireld.
However, persuading Wolves to give the go-ahead could be the tricky part.
The Midlands club want to keep hold of their first-team star, although their current financial situation could benefit Tottenham’s hopes of clinching a deal.
Coady’s contract is due to expire in four years, which means Spurs will have to splash out a substantial figure to force his Molineux exit.
- Tottenham Lining Up £18m Bid for Wolves Speed Demon Adama Traore – Would That Be a Good Move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?
- The biggest snubs from the FIFPro World XI shortlist
- Sergio Aguero’s best career moments
- Champions League round of 16 draw: The previous meetings
- Europa League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Champions League group stage recap – who progressed and who went out?
- Barcelona – Where did it all go wrong?
- The decisive games in the Europa League group stage
- The decisive games in the Champions League group stage