Tottenham Hotspur and Wolverhampton Wanderers have reportedly held preliminary talks for highly-rated centre-back Conor Coady.
According to Football Insider, Spurs have sounded out Wolves over Coady’s availability as they look to increase their quality at the back.
After sanctioning Toby Alderwireld’s transfer to Al-Duhail, the Londoners are also looking to engineer Davinson Sanchez’s £42 million move to Sevilla.
The Andalusian giants look destined to lose Jules Kounde to Chelsea in the coming weeks and want Sanchez to take his place next term.
If the Colombian ends up joining the Spanish outfit, Nuno Espirito Santo would be left with Eric Dier and Joe Rodon as his only available centre-back options.
So the ex-Wolves manager wants to make sure to add at least one top-class defender in the summer and wants a reunion with Coady.
The pair spent four years working together at Molineux, and Espirito Santo is quite familiar with the 28-year-old’s capabilities.
Coady was a constant figure for Wolves during the Portuguese manager’s tenure, missing just a single Premier League match in three seasons.
The Englishman’s rise to stardom at Molineux saw him earn a place in Gareth Southgate’s European Championship squad.
Given his household status at Wolves, it may sound surprising that Coady earns ‘only’ £16k a week, a salary Tottenham should have no problem matching.
The Liverpool youth academy graduate boasts plenty of experience in the Premier League and could be the perfect replacement for Alderwireld.
However, persuading Wolves to give the go-ahead could be the tricky part.
The Midlands club want to keep hold of their first-team star, although their current financial situation could benefit Tottenham’s hopes of clinching a deal.
Coady’s contract is due to expire in four years, which means Spurs will have to splash out a substantial figure to force his Molineux exit.
- Inter Milan eyeing a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Emerson Royal
- Premier League stars at the 2022 World Cup
- Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Best Champions League Matches To Watch Next Week
- From Cucurella to Wijnaldum – 5 Expected Transfers In August 2022
- Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp delivers injury update on Alisson & Diogo Jota
- Who will partner Frenkie de Jong in Man Utd’s midfield?
- Latest Premier League Transfer News: Lautaro Martinez delivers update on his future amid Tottenham links
- Arsenal vs Tottenham could decide Champions League fate this midweek
- Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham – The race for the Top 4