Tottenham Hotspur are set to go head-to-head with Arsenal in the race to sign Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar, reputed journalist Julien Laurens reports.
The Gunners were in regular contact with Les Gones for Aouar last summer, but they were put off by the reported €60 million price tag.
It was recently claimed that the 23-year-old could be available for just €20-25m amid financial concerns for the Ligue 1 club.
The Gunners are still keen on signing him, but it is reported that arch-rivals Spurs have entered the pursuit of the France international.
Proven Quality view:
The Gunners are searching for a creative midfielder to add to their ranks, and the same can be said for Spurs ahead of the forthcoming campaign.
Emile Smith Rowe showed promise for the Gunners last term, but the club need more quality in their ranks to push for a potential top-four finish.
Aouar offers versatility with his ability to play anywhere in the midfield. His attributes are quite similar to former Gunners star Aaron Ramsey.
Spurs also need a progressive player from the centre of the park. Tanguy Ndombele and Giovanni Lo Celso have yet to find the consistency.
There are no assurances that Aouar could hit the ground running from the off, but both clubs are aware of his all-round qualities.
Aouar registered eight goals and four assists from 33 outings last term. He is not shy in the final third with an average of two shots per game.
Spurs may have the edge over the Gunners with European football. However, participation in the inaugural Europa Conference League is not much of an attraction.
Aouar may first assess his options for the summer. It won’t be surprising if he turns down the north London giants for a move to a Champions League club.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Whoscored.com
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking
- Tottenham’s sporting director Fabio Paratici targeting Juventus’ Aaron Ramsey
- Jurgen Klopp makes transfer decision on injury-prone Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain