Tottenham Hotspur are reportedly on the brink of completing the signing of the versatile Bologna defender Takehiro Tomiyasu.
Nuno Espirito Santo has identified Tottenham’s defensive department as one of the weakest links in the team after taking over the reins in north London this summer.
The Londoners have quickly emerged as the leading candidates to land Tomiyasu, who has also drawn interest for another Premier League heavyweights, Manchester United.
With Toby Alderweireld well past his prime and Davinson Sanchez and Joe Rodon blowing hot and cold last season, the Spurs are desperate to bolster their defensive options.
Tomiyasu fits the profile Espirito Santo is looking to add to his squad, as he can adapt to several systems, including playing as one of the three centre-backs in his preferred 3-5-2 formation.
Strong in aerial challenges and comfortable with the ball at his feet, the Japanese defender can also operate as a right-back.
He joined Bologna from Sint-Truidense in the summer of 2019, with the Italians dashing out €9million to secure his services.
Tomiyasu has excelled in Serie A, earning a reputation as one of the most talented defenders in the Italian top-flight.
The Japan international racked up 31 league appearances under Sinisa Mihajlovic last season, scoring two goals in the process.
AC Milan and Inter were also interested in acquiring his signature, but it seems Tottenham have managed to win the race.
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking
- Tottenham’s sporting director Fabio Paratici targeting Juventus’ Aaron Ramsey
- Jurgen Klopp makes transfer decision on injury-prone Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain