Roma playmaker Lorenzo Pellegrini could be a subject of a big-money offer in the summer as Tottenham Hotspur added the midfielder to their list of targets.
As reported by The Athletic, Spurs have laid their eyes on the Italian metronome but might have to earmark around £25.6million to trigger his release clause.
The Londoners want to add another piece to Nuno Espirito Santo’s midfield jigsaw following an underwhelming 2020/21 Premier League campaign.
Pierre Emile-Hojbjerg and Tanguy Ndombele have been irreplaceable in the centre of the park in terms of energy and fighting spirit, but a lack of creativity remains a problem.
Tottenham are inclined to believe that Pellegrini could be a perfect solution to relieve Harry Kane from the creative burden.
The 25-year-old produced a stellar 2020/21 season at the Stadio Olimpico, accruing 11 goals and nine assists in all competitions.
Pellegrini’s mindset and leadership skills have seen him become Roma’s captain, and the Giallorossi will be keen to keep him on board beyond the summer.
Though convincing the Italians to green-light their star player’s departure could be a daunting task, Tottenham may not have to worry about entering exhausting negotiations.
If Spurs can exercise the midfielder’s release clause, Roma would be powerless to prevent their talisman from leaving this summer.
Not long ago, Pellegrini figured as a potential signing for Manchester United, but the Red Devils shifted priorities heading into the summer transfer window.
The Italian carries a reputation as one of the finest playmakers in Serie A and possesses all the right qualities to thrive in the Premier League.
Following a dismal seventh-place finish this past season, Tottenham have to bolster their squad to return in contention four top-four places and Pellegrini fits the bill.
- Arsenal contact Inter Milan regarding Lautaro Martinez’s availability
- Fans react as Arsenal prepare to open contract talks with Granit Xhaka after Roma move collapses
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Aberdeen to honour former manager with statue for his ‘immense’ tenure at the club
- Christian Eriksen: Inter Milan midfielder set to undergo tests next week to see if playing career can resume after cardiac arrest
- Joe Hart on Celtic’s radar this summer
- Borussia Dortmund announce signing of Euro 2020 star Donyell Malen from PSV
- Chelsea transfer news latest: Blues begin talks with Sevilla’s Jules Kounde
- Premier League transfer news latest: Italy icon urges Andrea Belotti to make the right call with Arsenal and Tottenham lurking
- Tottenham’s sporting director Fabio Paratici targeting Juventus’ Aaron Ramsey
- Jurgen Klopp makes transfer decision on injury-prone Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain