Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk returned to Netherlands duty last night in a World Cup qualifier in Norway.
The centre-back started the 1-1 draw and produced a solid performance against Erling Braut Haaland.
Haaland did score in the 20th minute of the encounter, but Van Dijk was not to blame.
The defence tried to play the offside trap, only for Cody Gakpo to ruin the game plan.
Van Dijk had not featured for the national team for nearly a year due to a serious knee injury.
He came up with a credible performance last night, winning all eight of his aerial duels.
The 30-year-old also made six clearances and was impressive with his distribution over 90 minutes.
The Dutch captain completed 90 percent of his passes with 12 long balls in the process.
It was not a vintage display from Van Dijk as he was turned around by Haaland on a few occasions.
However, he won the aerial battle as most of the scoring threat came from Stefan de Vrij’s side.
Netherlands missed the chance to go top of their World Cup qualifying group with a victory.
Only the top team in each group is guaranteed a direct spot in the global tournament next year.
Group G promises to be a tight affair with leaders Turkey just one point ahead of three teams.
Netherlands, Montenegro and Norway are all tied on seven points, with the former having the superior goal difference.
The Dutch shockingly missed out on the 2018 World Cup. They could be set for another tough challenge.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
- Who will partner Frenkie de Jong in Man Utd’s midfield?
- Latest Premier League Transfer News: Lautaro Martinez delivers update on his future amid Tottenham links
- Arsenal vs Tottenham could decide Champions League fate this midweek
- Arsenal, Manchester United, Tottenham – The race for the Top 4
- Europa League Semi-Finals Preview: Westham v Frankurt, Leipzig v Rangers
- March 2022’s International Break Preview
- 3 Talking Points From Sunday’s Premier League Action
- Borussia Dortmund closing in on siging Red Bull Salzburg whizz-kid
- Tottenham lining up £18m bid for Wolves speed demon Adama Traore – Would that be a good move?
- Where could Romelu Lukaku go if he leaves Chelsea?