Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk returned to Netherlands duty last night in a World Cup qualifier in Norway.
The centre-back started the 1-1 draw and produced a solid performance against Erling Braut Haaland.
Haaland did score in the 20th minute of the encounter, but Van Dijk was not to blame.
The defence tried to play the offside trap, only for Cody Gakpo to ruin the game plan.
Van Dijk had not featured for the national team for nearly a year due to a serious knee injury.
He came up with a credible performance last night, winning all eight of his aerial duels.
The 30-year-old also made six clearances and was impressive with his distribution over 90 minutes.
The Dutch captain completed 90 percent of his passes with 12 long balls in the process.
It was not a vintage display from Van Dijk as he was turned around by Haaland on a few occasions.
However, he won the aerial battle as most of the scoring threat came from Stefan de Vrij’s side.
Netherlands missed the chance to go top of their World Cup qualifying group with a victory.
Only the top team in each group is guaranteed a direct spot in the global tournament next year.
Group G promises to be a tight affair with leaders Turkey just one point ahead of three teams.
Netherlands, Montenegro and Norway are all tied on seven points, with the former having the superior goal difference.
The Dutch shockingly missed out on the 2018 World Cup. They could be set for another tough challenge.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and WhoScored.com.
Read: How Arsenal could line up (4-2-3-1) with their summer signings.
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Preview: Brentford vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League officials to pause games to allow Muslim players to break fast during Ramadan
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups
- Inter Milan eyeing a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Emerson Royal
- Premier League stars at the 2022 World Cup
- Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Best Champions League Matches To Watch Next Week
- From Cucurella to Wijnaldum – 5 Expected Transfers In August 2022