Wolverhampton Wanderers have opened talks with AC Milan forward Rafael Leao over a potential summer switch to the Premier League.
According to Corriere dello Sport, Wolves have made contact with the player’s agent Jorge Mendes to lay the groundwork for the Portuguese’s move to Molineux.
Bruno Lage’s prime objective in the ongoing transfer window is to bolster his attacking options.
The 45-year-old wants to increase the firepower he inherited from Nuno Espirito Santo following Wolves’ goal-shy season.
Indeed, the Midlands outfit could only manage the fifth-lowest return of 36 goals from 38 Premier League fixtures last term.
With star striker Raul Jimenez spending most of the season on the sidelines due to a head injury, Wolves struggled to trouble the scoreboard enough.
Lage now wants to improve his attacking department and sees Leao as an immediate upgrade on Adama Traore and Daniel Podence, who both struggled for the impact this past season.
Although Wolverhampton boast a friendly relationship with Mendes, they will need to make a substantial financial effort to persuade Milan to allow the move.
Milan forked out €28m to prise Leao away from Lille in summer 2019 and now look to earn around double that fee.
The super-talented forward performed in patches last season but still managed to add six goals and six assists in 30 Serie A appearances to his name.
Leao’s versatility, pace and technical skills make him invaluable to Stefano Pioli, which further derails the chances of Milan sanctioning his departure.
However, a special relationship between Wolves and Mendes might eventually tip the scales in the Premier League side’s favour.
- 2024 UEFA Champions League Predictions, Surprises, and Insights
- Top tips for planning a football training session
- Wolves in talks with Corinthians over late move for Yuri Alberto
- Premier League: Everton vs Manchester City preview, prediction & team news
- Preview: North Macedonia vs England – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Study reveals the most accessible Premier League stadiums
- Five players most likely to win the 2023 Ballon d’Or
- Preview: Arsenal vs Manchester United – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Five European pre-season fixtures to watch in July
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?