Wolverhampton Wanderers are prepared to make Adama Traore their highest-paid player after Tottenham Hotspur’s failed attempts to sign him, The Sun reports.
Spurs were keen on landing Traore’s signature last month. Their initial loan offer of £5 million with an option to buy was rejected by Wolves.
On deadline day, they were willing to pay around £30m, but Wolves rejected the proposal. They were reluctant to lose him for less than £50m.
Wolves are now preparing a fresh round of contract talks with Traore, and they are willing to more than double his £55,000-per-week wages.
The Midlands outfit will offer him a bumper package of £120,000-per-week, making him the top earner at the club ahead of Joao Moutinho.
Traore had an impressive 2019/20 campaign, registering six goals and 12 assists from 54 outings. He also created several chances leading to goals.
However, he had a disappointing season last term. He bagged just three goals and three assists from 41 games and struggled to impose himself.
Under new manager Bruno Lage, he has been transformed into a regular left-sided winger, and there have been plenty of positives from his displays.
While Wolves have lost their opening three league games with 1-0 scorelines, Traore has hugely impressed with a stunning nine take-ons per game.
He has also won nearly three aerial duels and attempted four shots on average. Despite this, the reported price tag does not seem to justify him.
While he remains a key player for Wolves, his end product has been disappointing. There are signs that Lage could get the best out of him at the club.
The 25-year-old has entered the final two years of his contract. Wolves will be hoping to convince him to stay with a record salary package on the table.
There is a possibility that he could earn a similar salary at Spurs. Wolves could be tempted to sell him in January if there is no contract breakthrough.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com.
Read: Manchester United attacker Jesse Lingard snubbed chance to rejoin West Ham.
- Who would replace Karim Benzema at Real Madrid?
- Preview: Brentford vs Manchester City – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Manchester City vs Arsenal – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Premier League officials to pause games to allow Muslim players to break fast during Ramadan
- Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United Preview – Prediction, how to watch & Potential line-ups
- Inter Milan eyeing a move for Tottenham Hotspur’s Emerson Royal
- Premier League stars at the 2022 World Cup
- Manchester United vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups
- Best Champions League Matches To Watch Next Week
- From Cucurella to Wijnaldum – 5 Expected Transfers In August 2022